Friday 14 October 2016

Latest Work in Progress

I've recently been working on a painting of the beach at Narbonne Plage in the South of France. Working from my own photo, I started by squaring up the photo in white small divisions. Then, having a convenient and suitably sized piece of MDF to hand, I applied a couple of coats of white gesso before grinding up the board. 

Transferring the photo to the board was not too straightforward, as I kept misaligning various elements. However, I managed it in the end and work began on blocking in the main elements. One part that gave me some trouble was the sand. I just couldn't get the right fell of r the colour. Fortunately, I remembered that I had a tube of Michael Harding's unbleached titanium dioxide in my paintbox and this, along with a touch of burnt umber, gave me the colour I for which I had been searching.

As I started work on this stage, I also realised that the whole sea section was too high, so there has been a pretty rough realignment of that. I'll have to tidy it up when I come to complete that section.

This WIP shows my second working of the painting, along with my reference photo. The picture of the painting isn't great, as it's from my phone, in my garage/studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Is this blog really worth it?

I'm seriously considering abandoning this blog. I don't get round to updating it often enough and I suspect that it doesn't'...